get involved in Ottawa
Create Your Volunteer Profile
Creating an account with Volunteer Ottawa allows you to apply to opportunities and helps member organizations find you. Volunteer accounts are always free.
You’re here because you’re interested in volunteering – but you may be surprised at all the benefits! Here are just a few:
- Learn what’s going on in your community, broaden your perspective, and meet new people
- Develop resume-relevant skills and experience at any age — as a student, a newcomer to Canada, or someone looking for a career change
- Put your established skills and experience to work to help others
- Boost your mental well-being with the social connections and sense of purpose that volunteering brings
- Contribute to a stronger society through active community engagement
Ready to get started?
Watch our video Ottawa’s Volunteer Connection to hear about how local volunteers found their opportunities through Volunteer Ottawa.
What is volunteering?
At its heart, volunteering is about donating your time and talent to a good cause. There are two main types of volunteering:
- Formal Volunteering: volunteer work done for or on behalf of a nonprofit organization or charity. This can include anything from packing food at a food bank to donating time using your professional skills (sometimes known as “skilled volunteering”).
- Informal Volunteering: the help you provide directly to others, like shoveling snow, picking up groceries, or driving someone to an appointment.
On the Volunteer Ottawa website, you will find opportunities for formal and skilled volunteering throughout the greater Ottawa region. You can filter your search to find the most relevant opportunities.
Want to learn more about the value of volunteering? Check out this resource from Volunteer Canada.
How do I apply to a volunteer opportunity?
Interested in applying for a volunteer opportunity on the Volunteer Ottawa website? It’s easy — create an account, find an opportunity that appeals to you, and hit “apply”!
Organizations whose positions you apply to will be able to see your Volunteer Profile and Account Information as part of your application. Fill out as much of your Account Info and Volunteer Profile as possible to find better volunteering matches.
What kind of information will I be asked for, and how is it used?
The information in your Account and Volunteer Profile streamlines your search by keeping all your relevant volunteer information attached to your account.