We are looking for a Secretary to join the Board of Directors of Twice Upon a Time. Twice Upon a Time is a registered charity in the Ottawa area, and we give free books to children. We collect book donations, apply for funding and work out of various organizations in Ottawa to give books to children. We believe in the power of book ownership to support literacy development.
The Secretary is a member of the Executive of the Board of Directors and is a required position according to the bylaws. The secretary supports the President and Vice-President in organizing meetings, keeping minutes and supporting the activities of the Board.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Call board meetings;
● Prepare board meeting agendas, including monitoring and saving Board member email conversations for items to add to agenda, uploading documents of interest, and ensuring agenda is prepared at a minimum of 48 hours prior to board meetings;
● Take board meeting minutes, and save draft minutes in appropriate folder on corporate Google Drive;
● Ensure approved minutes are distributed to all Board members, and named and stored appropriately on corporate Google Drive;
● Manage documents and folder structure on corporate Google Drive;
● Coordinate email management practices;
● Summarize email conversations, listing action items, decisions and outcomes reached over email, between board meetings;
● Approve spending as a member of the executive;
● Prepare thank you letters for donations of books or in-kind items;
● Maintain accuracy of financial and book donor information on donor management and mailing systems;
● Provide signing authority; and
● Update 211 records.
Along with other members of the Board, the Secretary will:
● Develop new relationships and partnerships with like-minded organizations;
● Meet new and prospective Board members; and
● Participate in succession planning and the nomination of new Board members.
Estimated time commitment: 8-10 hours per month
Work location: Mostly remote, with in-person meetings at least monthly
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
The volunteer will develop organisation, time management and communication skills while contributing to Twice Upon a Time’s mission of getting books into the hands of Ottawa children and families.
How will the organization benefit?
Twice Upon a Time is a registered charity that is 100% volunteer-run. Our volunteers play an essential role in the achievement of Twice Upon a Time's mission of supporting children's literacy and fostering a love of reading.
Share this volunteer opportunity