Volunteer Fundraising Event Coordinator
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers Ottawa has been operational since 2017 and has completed over 900 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
We at Shelter Movers continue to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services at this time as we are designated as an essential service. We have implemented stringent measures in place to protect our volunteers, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home isn’t a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time with their abuser in an unsafe, confined space as well as potentially losing their job and the financial independence that comes with it. There have been published articles that highlight mandatory social distancing measures that place individuals experiencing abuse at a greater risk than pre-pandemic.
The Fundraising Event Coordinator will have an integral role in fund development for Shelter Movers
Ottawa. The main duties include donor relationship cultivation and management and event support.
Reporting to the Fund Development Manager and the Chapter Director, the Fundraising Event
Coordinator is a collaborative, results-oriented role. The main responsibilities of this position include
cultivating relationships with donors and securing philanthropic commitments from individuals,
corporations, foundations and government agencies. This role will also have a strong focus on
event-based fundraising, which includes supporting third-party events and campaigns.
● Identify and steward gifts and manage a portfolio of current donors and prospects; build
strong relationships with individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies
● Support the continued growth of Shelter Movers’ monthly giving program
● Solicit donations and sponsorship from individuals or corporate sponsors
● Manage in-kind donations from local community partners, including tracking promised
visibility and acknowledgment
● Implement established stewardship plan and measures; may include phone calls, written
correspondence (handwritten cards) and partnership gifts
● Organize fundraising activities and campaigns with the support of staff and volunteers,
including creating budgets and tracking revenue and expenses
● Instruct and support third-party fundraisers to ensure appropriate procedures and guidelines
are followed and help protect against reputational risk for Shelter Movers
An estimated 4 to 5 hours a week, depending on responsibilities. Additional time may be required,
on occasion, in the evenings and some weekends due to the nature of the position.
Essential Skills & Knowledge:
● Previous fundraising and event planning experience is an asset, but not mandatory
● Innovation and creativity are highly valued in this position, as well as the ability to work in a
virtual space and recommend alternatives to traditional styles of fundraising
● Comfortable soliciting donations and engaging potential donors; confident in representing
Shelter Movers’ mission
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
● Dynamic, outgoing personality with sound judgment and the ability to use discretion
● Capability to work autonomously when required, and also as a member of a team in a
fast-paced environment, while balancing competing priorities
● Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask and work under pressure to meet
● Familiarity with Google Workspace, MailChimp, Canva, CanadaHelps, Zoom and donor
management software is a plus
● Experience in the nonprofit sector considered an asset; must be sensitive and knowledgeable
of issues surrounding gender-based violence (GBV) and the Violence Against Women (VAW)
● Membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals or the Canadian Association of
Gift Planners is an asset.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process and
attend a volunteer orientation, in addition to signing a confidentiality agreement and obtaining a
criminal record check.
How to Apply:
If interested, please send a brief description outlining your interest as well as your resume to [email protected]
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
As a Fundraising Event Coordinator at Shelter Movers:
● You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community by supporting
women and families transitioning from violence and abuse.
● You’ll gain experience in fundraising, donor stewardship, corporate partnerships and event
planning, with coaching and support from an experienced professional in the field.
● You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training
material and opportunities.
● You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers that have a desire to make a difference in their community
How will the organization benefit?
Financial support and networking opportunities, through Fundraising Events, aids in our ability to acquire needed resources such as moving equipment, vehicles, storage units, etc. Having the proper tools allows us to continue supporting individuals and families fleeing situations of violence and abuse as they search for safe and secure homes.
Share this volunteer opportunity