Direct Support Volunteer- Refugee Services
As Refugee Services Direct Support volunteer you will support refugee claimants in the early stages of their settlement process in Canada. You will receive orientation and training, and coordinate regularly with other team members.
You would be asked to:
– Welcome new residents, with established intake procedures
– Connect clients to social services in Ottawa
– Help residents with their settlement process (e.g. submit job application, prepare for interviews, navigate public transit, etc).
– Help with some basic administrative tasks
You would need to have:
– Excellent people skills
– The ability to practice patience with a non-judgmental attitude
– Good communication skills in English, French or both languages
– Proficiency in MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, OneNote)
– Police Records Check (Level 3 – Vulnerable sector check)
– Passion for the mission of Matthew House Ottawa to welcome and support refugees in Ottawa
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
The direct support volunteer would earn valuable experience in working with refugee claimants. Through interacting with the residents, the direct support volunteer will gain in-depth knowledge about the procedure of refugee claim and the challenges refugee claimants face during this process.
How will the organization benefit?
Volunteers are crucial to the work of Matthew House Ottawa. The direct support volunteers substantially contribute to the refugee services and help the program enhance its services to the residents.
Share this volunteer opportunity