Client Selection Volunteer
HWF “clients” (individuals or families in need of furniture) are referred to us by social agencies in the Ottawa area. Their information is entered into a spreadsheet (the “intake list”), from which clients are selected each week.
The role of the Cline Selection Volunteer is to select the clients who will be coming to the warehouse to get their furniture.
This is a function that is best done from a private place like home and which requires availability and
flexibility in scheduling your time. We are looking for a resourceful, persistent, sensitive person for the
position. You must be prepared to communicate with vulnerable clients and be able to converse in a
manner to allow you to assess the client needs and be able to make decisions based on the information
Tasks to be performed:
• Identifying, from the intake list, clients to be contacted, based on a set of priority criteria
including the urgency of their needs, the size of family, the existence or not of support in
Ottawa, and their location;
• contacting clients by phone, video chat, and/or text messages to assess their current situation and furniture needs;
• potentially following-up with clients more than once to reach them;
• Reaching out to social workers in order to locate a client if needed;
• Selecting clients to be served, taking into account criteria described above;
To complete all these steps, you must be able to give between 3 to 5 hours over a few days.
This position is on a weekly rotation; therefore, a schedule will be set and you will be asked to work on a certain week.
• Must have a computer, an internet connection and a mobile phone (to send and receive text
• Must be able to converse in English and French, all other languages are an asset
• Must have good communication skills
• Must have flexibility and be available to be contacted back by clients who return calls and text
Training and mentoring will be provided
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
This is a very rewarding and key position within HWF. Not only does it open the door to discovering
extraordinary people, whose realities are not always visible to most of us, but decisions made at this
strategic level trickle down the organization and have an impact on all other activities of HWF.
Provides a valuable experience in understanding the very diverse needs of the community.
Develop organizational skills, managing skills, learn to delegate, develop interviewing skills, make an impact in the community, meet a diverse population.
How will the organization benefit?
This is a critical role for the organization as the rest of the work done by volunteer starts from the client selection team.
Share this volunteer opportunity